Monday, May 23, 2011

Wood Brothers - World Cafe Live - 03.26.11

It feels like an eternity since I've offered some live music for you to download. Luckily, I have a surplus of great recordings from the past couple months that I've been dying to get out there. My hope is I'll be able to finish processing them all before I leave for Hawaii on June 1st. The first is from a memorable night at the World Cafe Live with the Wood Brothers.

I've been a fan of the Wood Brothers ever since I first saw them in 2006 when they opened for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at this very venue. To say they blew me away during that first encounter would be an understatement. I'm sure there's a lot to be said about the comfort level you have writing and performing music with your brother. Ironically though, these two developed musically miles apart: Chris with MMW in the northeast and Oliver in the south with King Johnson.

Every time I've seen the brothers perform at the World Cafe Live it's been setup in the "dinner theater" configuration meaning less dancing room. The upside is it gives you a chance to really sit back and take in the performance. The "holy shit" moments really engulf you without the distractions of a standing room audience. This night was no different. As an added surprise the brothers brought along Jano Rix who added another layer and allowed old favorites like One More Day, Twisted and Glad to take on a new life.

It's hard for me to describe these "holy shit" moments without experiencing it live. I think it has something to do with the juxtaposition of their styles, but people who've witnessed can attest: It's downright beautiful music. Examples can be found scattered across this recording with Losing Streak, Shoofly Pie, Pay Attention and Smoke Ring Halo being a couple of my favorite from the night.

It can be a challenge to tape the Wood Brothers because of the dynamic range of the performance. This one was no different, but the recording is definitely a great representation of the night. You may need to crank the volume to hear the discussion between songs, but it's best to play this one loud anyway! Thanks to Craig T for the pics:








Wood Brothers
March 26, 2011
World Cafe Live (Downstairs)
Philadelphia, PA

Source: Schoeps mk4 > actives > NBox+ > Sound Devices 722(24/48)
Transfer: Sound Devices 722 > Firewire > Wavelab 5.0a(+Gain/Fades/Resampler 192/UV22HR Dither) > CD Wave > flac16 (level 8) > tagged using Foobar2000 and Tag&Rename
Location: Floor/LOC
Configuration: DIN
Taped and Transferred by T.J. Samulis

01. -intro-
02. Up Above My Head
03. One More Day
04. Twisted
05. Walk Away
06. Smoke Ring Halo
07. Mary Anna
08. Chocolate On My Tongue
09. Losing Streak
10. Glad
11. Postcards From Hell
12. Shoofly Pie
13. When I Was Young
14. Pay Attention
15. Chevelotte
16. Blue And Green
17. Stumbled In
18. Atlas
19. -encore break-
20. Luckiest Man
21. Down The Road (1)

NOTES
(1) With Seth Walker on guitar/vocals






No comments:

Post a Comment